Start by being kind. All the best things take root from there.



Monday, July 11, 2011

Together


It's so weird to watch our parents grow up. I'm not sure why it's so funny--maybe it's because I'm completely aware of their humanness and individuality now (have they changed much since I was young?). Now that I am becoming a parent perhaps I'm more perceptive and capable of digesting their adult lives. Both my parents have been dating since I was a little kid and now I am the one married and "settled down". I LOVE being married and LOVE the life and construction that is comes with (new memories, old memories, firsts, the incredible trust and friendship...!). If I could tell them a few things and have it truly sink in, and not come from "the baby" or "the kid", they'd be: "I won't judge you" and "just be you". Honesty won't offend me. You're an adult, yea, my parent, but we're peers now and I can be your friend. It's a new phase for them too. We were kids for so long. We needed shelter and protection. We needed guidance and help through all the new labrynths growing up. Of course, we still have manuevering to do and growing, learning, and experiencing to ease into, but it's a new plane. We're all on this plane and all capable of making the same realizations or mistakes. But, we are their babies. How do we get in a place emotionally where we can let our babies see us all the way, with all of our weaknesses and cluelessness visible? I feel like as the baby, mine have been so visible the whole time. And I still have a lot of them. How do we get to the place where we can nurture our parents also?

It's alright! Be you. I won't judge you. I'll let you grow. Just like you allowed me. I'll be there for you. I can be your good friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment